←Older revision | Newer revision→
Media Wiki User Guide
Examples can be found at the formatting guide.
The editing examples page on wikipedia is slightly less useful.
Image formatting can be found here.
Table formating can be found here.
- Start editing
- To start editing a page, click the Edit this page (or just edit) link at one of its edges. This brings you to the edit page: a page with a text box containing the wikitext: the editable source code from which the server produces the webpage. If you just want to experiment, please do so in the sandbox, not here.
- Quick Tricks
- New pages are made using wikilinks [[Main Page]] produces Main Page. Following the resulting link allows you to create the new page by editing the blank one.
- Bulleted Lists are made using a * in front of the line
- Numbered lists are made using a # in front of the line
- ''italics'' = italics made with 2 apostrophes
- '''bold''' = bold made with 3 apostrophes
- <nowiki>text without wiki formatting</nowiki> = overrides wiki formatting
- [http://www.nuhoc.neu.edu nuhoc website] = nuhoc website single brackets are used to link to external pages. Anything following the hyperlink is the text displayed over the link.
- [[Main_Page]] = Main_Page double brackets are used to link to internal pages
A wikilink or internal link links a page to another page within the same wiki. New pages are made by creating a link to a page that does not exist, and then adding content to that page. Links are case sensitive.
- [[a]] gives a.
- [[a|b]] gives b (link to a, labelled b).
- [[a]]b gives ab, just like [[a|ab]] does: ab.
- [[a|b]]c gives bc, just like [[a|bc]] does: bc.
- a[[b]] gives ab.
- [[a]]<nowiki>b</nowiki> gives ab.
- [[a]]''b'' gives ab.
- ''[[a]]''b gives ab.
- [[a|b]]c<nowiki>d</nowiki> gives bcd.
- [[a]][[b]] gives ab (two links, but looking equal to the single link ab), even if the links are underlined (a b and a b look the same only if links are not underlined).