History of NUHOC
NUHOC was started as a ski club in 1941. In December 1941, William W. Robinson and Gordon H. Brown began a ski club at Northeastern University (NU) known as the Hus-skiers. The Hus-skiers first constitution and by-laws were written by Thorton S. Cody, class of 1945,on January 15, 1942 and approved that same day by co-presidents Gordon H. Brown and William W. Robinson. Over the years, the Hus-skiers became more involved in other outdoor activities, and "Outing Club" was added to the group's name. The purpose of the group is to provide an opportunity for students, faculty, and alumni of Northeastern to take part in outdoor activities, such as skiing and hiking, with a group. The club is the largest undergrad club on campus. There is also a loosely organized Alumni Club for graduates. NUHOC is one of Northeastern's oldest recognized student organizations.
History of The Lodge
The Lodge was built by some intrepid individuals who were looking to escape the city on a regular basis. In 1971 NUHOC, using funds raised by students, built a ski lodge, the Brown Memorial Lodge, in the White Mountains of New Hampshire. The Brown Memorial Lodge, known as The Lodge, is located just north of Mount Washington on the edge of White Mountain National Forest. It was named after one of NUHOC's founding members, who died in an aviation accident. A contest was held by the students for the design of The Lodge, a model of the winning design still resides in the NUHOC Office.
Here is some history about the lodge that was published in the early 80s for the 10th year anniversary. There is a lot of history that has been added to the lodge since 1981 so please continue to contribute!